- 8 Daily Tasks To Increase Blog Traffic | Steven-Sanders dot com
- Canon’s EOS 5D Mark II displays multiple LP-E6 battery capacities – Engadget
- MacBook Pro Tradeoffs | Walt Mossberg | Mossblog | AllThingsD
- The iPhone apps every designer needs | creativebits
- VC Warns Cash-Strapped Startups to Prepare for ‘Orderly Shutdown’ | Epicenter from Wired.com
- Bullish Cross: Reconstructing Apple’s 2008 Earnings to Reflect iPhone Sales
- Apple’s $24.5 billion: The case for a big stock buyback – Apple 2.0
- Griffin Technology: iTalk Sync
- gapingvoid: "cartoons drawn on the back of business cards": gapingvoid getting serious about the lithograph business
Monthly Archive for October, 2008
- HelloTxt Status Manager :: Update and Read Status
- Twittad Let Your Ad Meet Tweets
- Orangatame Software
- Twittelator Pro – amazing iPhone Twitter Client – Twittelator
- Qwitter: Catching Twitter quitters
- Twitterless :: Get Updates When Someone Stops Following You on Twitter
- StrawPoll—Tiny polls in 140 characters or less
- TwitterKeys: Enhance your Twitter conversations
- FriendOrFollow.com – Who’s not following you back? Who aren’t you following?
- Twitter Alerts – TweetBeep.com
- FT.com / Markets – Lower demand drags oil back towards $60
- My Way News – Newspapers see sharp circulation drop of 4.6 pct
down, down, down.
- gapingvoid: "cartoons drawn on the back of business cards": idea amplifier
"The bigger the statement, the bigger the idea, the bigger your brand will become."
- RockBand Controller: Gene Simmons from Kiss’ Axe | StuffGeeksWant
- Official Google Blog: Introducing Google Earth for iPhone
- Make Up Monday: A @#$^ing Reliable Computer | StuffChicksWant.com
She’ll marry you if you buy her a MacBook.
- Electronic Communications, Privacy, Data Protection, and More: “Forward-a-Friend” Class Action Against Reunion.com Dismissed With Leave to Amend
- My 5 Favorite SEO Strategies Exposed – Sharerevmedia.com : Money For your Video
- The Survival Matrix
- How to Crack into Google’s Servers and Find Search Keyword Gold | John Cow dot Com
- The 10 Signs of Intellectual Honesty | The Design Matrix
- infochimps.org: Map of Newspaper Endorsements for 2008 US Election
This is priceless:
Did you vote yet? I did.
You’ve gotta see this to believe it:
- OnlyOnce: Managing in a Downturn
- Oh Snap! – Google Adsense And Google Analytics Get Married | my.45n5.com
- VoiceNotes vs. iDicto vs. Recorder vs. Record – The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)
yeah, I’d slow down for this
- Interview: John Gruber on the iPhone | News | TechRadar UK
- The Man Who Would Buy Apple;But Sun’s Chief, Scott McNealy, Probably Won’t Be Caught Overpaying – New York Times
- Daring Fireball: The Phone Company
fantastic analysis from John Gruber
I miss reading Shel Silverstein. I’m going to have to buy some books of his, to read to the boys. His books encourage the kind of limitless wonder all kids (and adults) should have:
“Listen to the mustn’ts, child. Listen to the don’ts. Listen to the shouldn’ts, the impossibles, the won’ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me… Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” –by Shel Silverstein
- City of Austin – Dillo Dirt Vendors
It’s time to put compost on your grass for the winter, for an early strong start in the spring.
- How To Spin Layoffs
“You cannot keep determined people from success. If you place stumbling blocks in their way, they will use them for stepping-stones and climb to new heights.” – Mary Kay Ash (1918–2001)
- Contacting Support – AdSense Help Center – Change Payee Page
If you ever need to change your Payee Name in your Adsense Account, this is the page to start the process on.
- 10 Very Good Reasons Why You Should Grow a Giant Beard
- Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results
Pretty amazing numbers: “Apple just reported one of the best quarters in its history, with a spectacular performance by the iPhone—we sold more phones than RIM,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We don’t yet know how this economic downturn will affect Apple. But we’re armed with the strongest product line in our history, the most talented employees and the best customers in our industry. And $25 billion of cash safely in the bank with zero debt.”
- "Aggie War Hymn" Writer To Be Honored With Campus Statue – The Association of Former Students
neat story, if you’re an Aggie.
- I, Cringely . The Pulpit . Ctrl-Alt-Del | PBS
- WordPress › Blog » The New 2.7 Dashboard
- Let’s Be Serious: Online Display Ads Will Fall Sharply In 2009
- OtherInbox – the cure for email overload!: Why not use Gmail as my other inbox?
I love OtherInbox… soooo love it. Try it yourself.
- Gravatars: Why Both Commenters and Publishers Should Use It | Devlounge
- How I Turned Down $300,000 from Microsoft to go Full-Time on GitHub
- Join the Co-op
- 40 brilliant Gmail hints, hacks and secrets | News | TechRadar UK
- Rands In Repose: FriendDA
- Examples of Good and Bad Landing Pages | Inside the Secret Life of a Super Affiliate – Zac Johnson dot Com
Here’s the response I just got from my Senator, Kay Bailey Hutchison (who I’d love to see run for president, btw):
from: Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison <[email protected]>
to: John Engler
date: Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 5:17 PM
subject: Constituent Response From Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison
Dear Mr. Engler:
Thank you for contacting me regarding on-line child safety. This is an issue that is very important to me, and I welcome your thoughts and comments.
Children in schools and households across the country log onto the Internet every day to access a wealth of information resources, to communicate with friends, or simply to seek entertainment. For predators, however, the Internet represents a vast unregulated space in which they can target and victimize innocent children. This is a frightening reality that we must confront as explicit material becomes increasingly available online. Since 1996, the FBI has documented a 2,000 percent increase in the amount of child pornography on the Internet. According to a study conducted by the Department of Justice (DOJ), 25 percent of all children have been exposed to unwanted sexually explicit material. Those numbers are alarming, and we must act to protect our children so they can safely use the Internet as an educational tool without being exposed to illicit material or targeted by predators who try to trick them into revealing personally identifiable information.
Safeguarding our nation’s children has been my longstanding priority. In 2003, I sponsored a bill that was later signed into law and that created the National AMBER Alert Network. Since its inception, the alert system has safely returned 420 missing or abducted children to their parents. I also cosponsored the Internet Safety Act. It was signed into law in 2006 when provisions of the bill were included in the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act, which directed the DOJ to conduct training of state and local law enforcement to effectively deal with computer-aided child exploitation crimes. We must ensure that the law enforcement community possesses all necessary tools to pursue and apprehend child predators, from enlisting the support of Internet providers, to educating local law enforcement, to bolstering awareness among parents.
On June 28, 2008, Senator Joe Biden introduced S. 1738, the Combating Child Exploitation Act of 2008, a bill I joined as a cosponsor. The Combating Child Exploitation Act directs the Attorney General to create and implement an initiative known as the National Strategy for Child Exploitation Prevention and Interdiction. This legislation will also help strengthen cases against criminals by requiring Internet service providers to provide information on the Internet identity and geographic location of suspected sex offenders, and preserve electronic evidence of child exploitation. I am pleased to inform you that the Combating Child Exploitation Act of 2008 has been passed by both the Senate and the House, and has now been sent to the President.
In addition, I have also cosponsored S. 431, the Keeping the Internet Devoid of Sexual Predators Act of 2007 (KIDS Act), and S. 1965, the Protecting Children in the 21st Century Act. The KIDS Act requires a convicted sex offender to register any email address or online identity in the National Sex Offender Registry and requires the Attorney General to maintain a system that allows companies to check the database prior to granting an individual access to social networking sites such as MySpace and Face Book. The Protecting Children in the 21st Century Act contains important provisions that raise public awareness. It requires schools and libraries that receive support from the federal universal service telecommunications fund to provide age appropriate Internet safety education for all children. The KIDS Act has passed both the House and Senate, and will now be sent to the President. S. 1965 passed the Senate by unanimous consent, and was passed by the House of Representatives as part of another bill. It will also be sent to the President.
I will continue to support efforts to combat child exploitation and to ensure that those who prey on our children are punished to the full extent of the law. I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to keep in touch on any issue of concern to you.
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator
284 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this message as it is not a valid e-mail address. Due to the tremendous volume of mail Senator Hutchison receives, she requests that all email messages be sent through the contact form found on her website at http://hutchison.senate.gov/contact.cfm.
If you would like more information about issues pending before the Senate, please visit the Senator’s website at http://hutchison.senate.gov. You will find articles, floor statements, and press releases, along with her weekly column and monthly television show on current events. You can also sign up to receive Senator Hutchison’s weekly e-newsletter.
Thank you Senator! And thank you Oprah for bringing this bill to light, so I could voice my concern.
- The Big Picture | Andrew Lahde: Goodbye!
- Apple Pokes Fun at Vista’s $300 million Advertising Budget » Adrants
- 50 Web Usability Tips that Help You Attract and Retain Web Visitors
- How to Use Forums To Drive Hundreds of Thousand of Readers to Your Blog
- 1TB hard drives dipping below $100 retail for the first time | 9 to 5 Mac
- YouTube – Steve Jobs at Next part 1
Damn this guy can speak…
- Google Docs Guide: How to do Stuff with Google Docs
- Canon EOS 50D | StuffGeeksWant
I want one of these soooo bad
- Resources for Would-Be Entrepreneurs ∞ Get Rich Slowly
- Deliver a Presentation like Steve Jobs
- Make Customer Testimonials Meaningful – Entrepreneur.com
- Selling to Big Companies Blog: Dealing with the "Close a Deal a Week" Manager
Good read for sales people.
- Powerful guide to master Your WordPress
- Who Do I Refer Folks To For SEO?
- Suitably Flip: Lies, Damn Lies, and the Great Depression of 2008
- A Couple Of Great TED Videos :: Steve Lacey :: Random Thoughts
- Mega GTD resource list | rob-thompson.com
- Virtual Help for Real Entrepreneurs – Virtual Office Assistants – Entrepreneur.com
- Bootstrap Austin Blog: Extreme Bootstrapping Part 2 – Divorced, bankrupt, homeless or all of the above?
- Tom Baum’s Blog: Extreme Bootstrapping – Part 1
- Daniel Lyons: Why Is Jerry Yang Still In Charge? | Newsweek Daniel Lyons | Techtonic Shifts | Newsweek.com
- The Not-To-Do List: 9 Habits to Stop Now – The Blog of Author Tim Ferriss
- David Galbraith’s Blog » Blog Archive » Wake up Britain. You Are Still Smoking Crack.
- Why I’ve Been Offered Close to a Million Dollars for My Blog (and Why I said No)
great read. seriously.
This is real investigative journalism
Bookmark this site if you want to follow what the government does with the bailout dollars
- Mind the GAAP: Understanding our Financial Results | Nuts About Southwest
Did Southwest turn a profit or not?
- Seth’s Blog: Do you have 16 boxes?
"… human beings like to be right. If you persuade yourself and your friends that times are really tough and that you’re bound to fail, you’ll probably do the things you need to do to make that true in the long run." So true. Live into the future you want, not the one you think the past will cause you to have!
- Why This Recession Will Be A Doozy
"… the US consumer is finally broke."
- Paul Kedrosky: Sneak Peek at Weekend Reading
good stuff… all of it.
- HTML Email Design: A Specialized Art
email design is hard
- Business Opportunities Weblog | Low-Cost Startup Secrets
- Business Opportunities Weblog | The Accidental Entrepreneur
- Obama Throwing Ad Money At The Problem
- Why Apple Won’t Get Crushed By The Recession
- Yahoo To Announce Mass Firings This Week
- Ballmer: Google Apps Blow, No One Actually Uses Them
We use them, thank you very much
- VC Financings For Internet Startups Down 16 Percent in Third Quarter
- The 10 Things You Need For Your Computer | Six Pixels of Separation – Marketing and Communications Blog and Podcast – By Mitch Joel at Twist Image
- Paul Kedrosky: Thirty Years of the U.S. 30-Year Mortgage
- Everything’s Going To Zero
Good read about the peak to trough idea
- Wake Up, People: Ballmer Just Said He’d Still Buy Yahoo*
- The Atlantic Online | November 2008 | The Things He Carried | Jeffrey Goldberg
- Airport security theater
- No season 3 for Mad Men?
best show on TV
- Xark!: 10 reasons why newspapers won’t reinvent news
- Advice On Partnering With The Big and Powerful: Don’t
- Let’s Get Practical
Great Quote: "All I think you can do is (a) deal with your current reality while (b) envisioning what you think you want your future reality to be while (c) recognizing that your view of future reality will change on a regular basis."
- Economics of Online Video 2: Unit Cost Structure
great read about business and monetization.
- Best And Worst Bang For The Buck Cities – Forbes.com
Austin Ranks #1.
- SSaSy Chic–Fashion Trends and Beauty Tips
great story about a first time entrepreneur, from the entrepreneur.
- WordPress Affiliate Pro – Ultimate WordPress Affiliate Solution
- WP Traffic
- MaxBlogPress Ninja Affiliate :: WordPress Affiliate Link Tracking Plugin
- The 15 dumbest names for Web 2.0 startups
heh… I know the founder of one of these companies…
- Top 10 things you didn’t know about the new MacBook
- McCain and Obama Action Figures…Really | StuffMomsWant.com
- Op-Ed Contributor – Buy American. I Am. – NYTimes.com
Warren Buffet: "Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful."
- AppleInsider | Apple’s next-gen 17-inch MacBook Pro due in a few months
- Why to Start a Startup in a Bad Economy
- Don Dodge on The Next Big Thing: Start a company in a recession? Absolutely!
- Plugins every WordPress user should have! | Cash Tactics
- Daring Fireball: Translation From Weasel-Speak to English of the Entirety of Duncan Riley’s Second Post-MacBook-Introduction-Event Update to His Widely-Cited Week-Ago Report That Apple Was Going to Announce an ‘$800 Laptop’
- Apple’s New MacBook Pro: The Technologizer Review | Technologizer
- The Android fine print: Kill switch and other tidbits
- Why I Blog – The Atlantic
- How to Avoid Occupational Burnout – Occupational Hazard – Entrepreneur.com
this was totally me, up until about two weeks ago.
- Top 7 Hiring Mistakes for Startups – Entreprenuer.com
- 6 Things We Heard Again from the Search Engineers at SMX East
- Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Video Tutorial: Google for Webmasters
- Where To Put Your Money Right Now « blog maverick
Cuban is now Dave Ramsey
- The "Content" API
- The rhetorical question | dooce ®
- Getting a Form’s Structure Right: Designing Usable Online Email Applications – Boxes and Arrows: The design behind the design
- Mac 101: 56 Useful Mac Shortcuts | Mac Tricks And Tips
- Hayden Panettiere: Voting for McCain Will Probably Kill Us All – AdGabber
- SexyLightBox – www.coders.me
- Paul Graham on a New Attitude for Startup Acquisitions | Leveraging Ideas
- Chris Pirillo: Kodak Zi6: Best Portable HD Video Recorder?
Makes me feel better about recommending this to a friend that will be a "new dad" soon
- Rands In Repose: The Culture Chart
- 13 Photography Lessons for Your Kid | NSLog();
- A Secret to Building Authority and Promoting your Blog | The Marketing Technology Blog
- How Hard Could It Be?: Sins of Commissions, Marketing and Advertising Article – Inc. Article
- Official Gmail Blog: New in Labs: Advanced IMAP Controls
- Red Pill Email » Blog Archive » What is the best ESP?
- XPLANE | Savings & (mis)Trust: A Credit Crisis XPLANATiON
- Scobleizer — Tech geek blogger » Blog Archive The Well Funded Layoff «
- Scobleizer — Tech geek blogger » Blog Archive The startup squeeze «
- How do bloggers make money? – By Michael Agger – Slate Magazine
- Sequoia: Downturn will last YEARS! : Texas Startup Blog
- cabel.name: On Wedding Design
- Transactional emails at Word to the Wise
- Technology & Marketing Law Blog: Email Ad Network Isn’t Liable for Unsolicited Email–Ferron v. Echostar
- The “Next Level” of Affiliate Marketing (and how to get there)
- Sequoia Rings the Alarm Bell: Silicon Valley Is in Trouble – GigaOM
direct link to one attendees’ notes from this meeting
- Sequoia Capital Meeting: Our take on the economy and on-demand adoption – Appirio – The CIO’s Guide to On-Demand
- Daring Fireball: The iPhone 3G
- Sequoia Rings the Alarm Bell: Silicon Valley Is in Trouble – GigaOM
- The Truth: What Obama and McCain won’t tell you about your money | I Will Teach You To Be Rich
- 8 Strategies For Successful Relations With Clients | How-To | Smashing Magazine
- austinpreneur: Bootstrappers will shine in the startup depression
- Jack Myers – The Brothers Einstein for The New EPA – The Perfect Media Storm…
a friends blog… loving it!
- TWP Auctions – the FREE eBay affiliate script – The Website Professionals
- Photojojo » Ten Ways To Look Fabulous in Pictures
- Debt: Reader Pays Off $14,330 In 20 Months With Our Tips
- 3 Perks That Work in Lieu of Raises – Employee Morale – Entrepreneur.com
- How to Get Rich « blog maverick
- Ad Copy Split Testing Made Easy | NickyCakes.com
- Top 10 Everyday Things People Do To Ruin Their Cars
- 11 Top WordPress Plugins Every Blog Should Have
- Super Angel Ron Conway To Would-Be Startups: Don’t Quit Your Day Jobs
- The House Next Door: Mad Men: Season 2
Mad Men reviews. Wow.
- chartjunk » Blog Archive » Tax Plans (that’s one for you, nineteen for me).
- 8 Questions Every Begining Affiliate Should Know | Cash Tactics
- To improve your marriage — be quiet – CNN.com
- 10 Checks to the Perfect WordPress theme – Yoast – Tweaking Websites
- Woork: 10 Useful articles about Database design
- 10 simple things you can do to improve your writing | 10 Things