So, I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.3.6 yesterday, even though I knew I should wait a couple of days to see what kind of problems shook out for other people… and I noticed that Safari just wasn’t working for me at all after the upgrade.
I figured that was happening because I had Safari open during the upgrade process, and that I’d screwed it up or something.
So, I downloaded Safari from Apple, and reinstalled it.
And it worked, but I was noticing these “locaized strong not found” menu items in the contextual menus… weird, and it made Safari unusable.
Then I saw that Erik had the same problem.
So, I searched Google for a fix, and found this great post on MacMinute’s Forums. G4Dualie writes:
1. Download the latest version of Safari from Apple. Found here. This step cannot be ignored.
2. Locate the webkit files and trash them. This folder is located in System/Library/Frameworks/webkit.framworks.
3. Install Safari from your download.
4. Restart the computer.
5. Launch Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions.
6. That’s it. You won’t see the words “localized string not found” appear in your Contextual Menus anymore.
It seems that this issue happens when you’ve had the Safari 1.3 developer’s preview installed, and the Mac OS X 10.3.6 upgrade tries to overwrite the fixes that it made to Safari 1.2’s webkit files. So, if you’re seeing this problem, follow those instructions above. Hope posting this again helps someone else that faces the same problem. I don’t think the Mac OS X 10.3.6 upgrade is the reason I had this problem, but rather the fact that I was running a developer preview of Safari, and the upgrade doesn’t check for that.
Also, check Macintouch’s 10.3.6 upgrade report for other potential issues, if you haven’t upgraded yet, so you know what you’re in for.